Skin is the outermost layer of the human body which has function as a protector from various disturbances and external stimuli, such as the hot sun and exposure to harmful substances.1 Skin as a body protector requires regular care to stay in good and healthy condition. Before doing treatment, it is necessary to know about the type of your skin so that the treatment is more accurate and personalized. There are four types of skin types, namely normal, dry, oily, and combination skin.2 After knowing your skin type, you can determine the right treatment according to your skin type.
Maintaining healthy skin is not only limited to the use of various care products and supplements. A healthy lifestyle, such as regular exercise and nutritious food consumption, is one way to maintain the health of your skin. Here are some tips for maintaining the health of your skin:3,4,5
- Healthy Food Consumption
There are several types of foods that are proven to help in skin health. Mangoes contain antioxidants to protect skin components, such as collagen. and tomatoes are useful for preventing skin cancer. Olive oil can reduce the risk of aging due to sun exposure. Other foods that nourish your skin can also be found in cocoa flavanols, green and white tea, kale, omega 3 and soy. You also need to reduce or even stop consuming alcohol to maintain the health of your skin.
- Maintain Skin Moisture
You can use skin moisturizing products. Also, you can take 5-10 minutes of showers per day, minimize the use of harsh soaps, and pat your towels dry while drying.Other tips that you can do to keep your skin moisturized by bathing for 5-10 minutes per day, using gentle and fragrance-free cleansers soap, stay away from bath tools that are abrasive and can damage the surface of the skin, pat the skin gently when drying it with a towel, use ointments or creams rather than lotions to minimize irritation and moisturize the skin..
- Do not Use Too Many Products
It is not recommended to use beauty products in layers at once because it will clog your skin pores and cause acne.
- Clean Makeup Brushes Regularly
This effort is needed to maintain the health of your skin, avoid skin infection and clogged skin pores. Wash off concealer and foundation brush once a week. For brushes that are used around the eyes, it is recommended to wash it twice a month, and other brushes once a month is enough
- Avoid and Quit Smoking
Skin aging can also be caused by smoking because it reduces the elasticity and strength of the skin layer by damaging the collagen and elastin in the skin. In addition, repeated facial expressions when smoking can cause wrinkles on your facial skin.
- Avoid Stress
Stress can cause irritation to your skin. Research shows that stress can trigger skin problems, such as rashes on the hands, itchy and scaly skin, excessive sweating, and the appearance of severe acne.
- Get Enough Rest
Adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per day. It can remove dark circles around your eyes and can also improve your skin tone. In addition, adequate sleep can give the skin time to rest and repair damaged skin layers. Without adequate sleep, your body cannot produce new collagen.
- Do Regular Exercise
Doing various fun activities, such as exercising, can help keep your skin healthy. This is because the amount of blood that contains oxygen and nutrients will be pumped more and flows throughout the body including the layers of your skin cells so that the skin can rejuvenate itself quickly.
- Latifah, F. and Iswari, R. 2013. Buku Pegangan Ilmu Pengetahuan Kosmetik. Gramedia Pustaka Utama: Jakarta
- Noor, N.M., Muhamad, N.J., Sahabudin, N.A. and Mustafa, Z. Development of Skin Care Routine Support System. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience. 2018. 24(10): 7830-7833. DOI:1166/asl.2018.13026
- Hannah N. Five Life Hacks for Healthy Skin. Last review on November 14, 2017. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320071
- Katie B. dan Candace B. 15 Dermatologist-Approved Skincare Tips for the Best Skin of Your Life. Last review on May 27, 2020. Available at: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/a34301/best-skin-care-tips/
- Rizal F. 5 Cara Tepat Menjaga Kesehatan Kulit. Last review on March 25, 2022. Available at: https://www.halodoc.com/artikel/5-cara-tepat-menjaga-kesehatan-kulit